Friday, February 19, 2010

NZ made petrol?

So I was telling Grandad about this project and the first thing he asked was "where will you get your petrol from?" I hadn't thought about petrol at all and had a sudden glimpse of myself biking everywhere for the next year. He went on to tell me that New Zealand produces/refines some petrol. No-one seemed to know where I could get my hands on this petrol so once again I turned to google. Turns out Challenge petrol stations sell it, not only that, they are a purely New Zealand company, a franchise too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's interesting Sarah, I hadn't thought about petrol either. Are you finding there is a lot more to this than you originally thought? I had considered following in your footsteps for a month or so, but I know I would struggle to search things out and spend extra on items.

Sarah said...

It's not actually anywhere near as hard as I thought, I just have to watch what I buy at the supermarket. I'm actually saving money cos I can't just pop down to the mall and buy a new top or whatever every pay day!
You should definately try it!...If you really can't afford the NZ made products then let me know, post it up here, tell everyone! This is about whether someone on a budget can do it so it is very interesting to see what doesn't fit into that budget. I'll put up some links to sites to search.

Anonymous said...

You might want to research Challenge a little more - they are a NZ brand, but of the parent company Caltex NZ (itself a sub-brand of the international Chevron Corporation). They either buy their crude oil from overseas and refine in NZ through Marsden Point refinery (which is over 80% foreign owned) or buy foreign refined petrol. You can't really buy solely NZ made petrol. Perhaps reconsider cycling considering your budget.