Monday, February 22, 2010

Budget blowing notebooks...

I went to buy paper and pens today. Suprisingly I straight away found two NZ made items...Warwick (made by Croxley) loose leaf refill and those little 50c notebooks. Unfortunately I need printer paper and spiral bound books. The only versions of these that weren't made in Indonesia didn't state country of origin. As some of them were also Warwick I assume they're not made here otherwise it would say so. Pens too...I should have just not bothered! I scoured the shelves for what seemed like hours in that ridiculous heat, just as I was about to give up I saw two spiral bound notebooks with "made in NZ" stickers. I thought 'awesome, now I can get outta here' that's when I turned one of them over...$22!...are they serious? Sure it had a lump of paua stuck to the cover (which would undoubtedly remove itself the first time I put it in my bag, no matter how careful I was) but the same sized book (and in my opinion better looking) from an undisclosed country was $5! So what should I do?...Blow my budget on a ridiculously priced notebook or grab one from who knows where?

2 comments:

Annabel said...

BeGreen pens are made here! I'm just looking for oen to write more about it, and they're so good that all of them have been stoken from my desk by my naughty colleagues. They are good though, and made from some recycled plastic!

carey said...

Hey Sarah!
I've just been reading over your blog, very interesting. It certainly highlights areas where buying nz made products is easy and competitively priced, tights for example. Fruit and vegies are another really accessible home grown product, my flatmates and I always go to the local markets on Sunday because it is sooooo cheap with none of the nasty chemicals! In saying that the most recent post shows that we still have a long way to go in other areas if we want to encourage people to buy nz made! Will be interested in following your one year experiment. Good luck!