Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A year without deoderant or shaving?

As soon as I came to terms with not being able to buy hairspray I ran out of deoderant. I have scoured the supermarkets, pharmacies and health shops but can't find any made here. So what do I do?...go without? I've heard that if you go for long enough without using it you don't need it anymore, your body just adapts. I have also heard from people that have tried it that it doesn't work. Google told me my other options were vinegar, lemon or baking soda. I tried the lemon but not only did it not work, it stung and left aweful marks on my shirt too. I figure deoderant is just one of the luxuries I won't be able to do without but where should I buy it? The local chemist or the supermarket? I figure as long as the supermarket is a franchise it's the same as buying it from a local shop so it doesn't matter where I buy it. Razors also aren't made here and I'm down to my last one. Should I get waxes? Even if I can't find a wax made here I figure if I go to a local beautician it's ok, surely it's the same as getting the local dressmaker to make me clothes? Either that or I buy one of those cut throat razors that I can get sharpened, at least that will reduce the amount of non NZ made things I need to buy. I do have an electric one but I've never liked it and I would have to buy Chinese made batteries to power it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You should definitely look into natural alternatives to chemical products, they are so often damaging to your body, the environment and most likely aren't supporting the local economy. Hairspray has got to be some of the nastiest stuff you put onto yourself and into the air, gross.

Unknown said...

Well, that will certainly make things interesting for you Sarah. You got me thinking about it and I was wondering if "Lush" sells products made in NZ. I have just looked briefly at their website and it doesnt say anything, but their goods don't look like they would be made overseas. Something to look into perhaps? I know they sell sticks of deoderant. I am just looking ahead to the week I spend with you in Tauranga :)

Si Sutcliffe said...

hi Sarah,

Try this for the deodorant:

http://www.ecostoredirect.co.nz/herb-farm-active-natural-deodorant.html

I've not tried it but it says it's NZ made :-)

Si

Sarah said...

Thanks Si!

Leighcat said...

i buy deodorant from Lush - both a hardish wax stuff that comes in a block and a powder. They probably aren't NZ made (Lush is British i think and makes stuff all over the world) but you could make something similar yourself. They work really well. I just don't like anything aluminium based. As for you trying the 'eventually my body doesn't need it' theory - hmmm - that might be tougher on other people!

Louise Bird said...

Great topic Sarah! I too made a pact that I would only buy New Zealand made or second hand. It's amazing how many shops I now bypass as I know there is no chance their stuff is made locally. The trickiest thing has been toothbrush heads! Not so keen on a recycled version of those...
My online business www.southernrata.co.nz is dedicated to only selling NZ made. Any feedback always most welcome:)Cheers, Louise