Monday, April 12, 2010

Could a local dressmaker be the answer?

As it was so easy to find Easter egg moulds and I couldn’t afford New Zealand made clothes I typed “NZ made” into Trademe’s search bar. It uncovered a lot more than I expected. Some of it was second hand but there was quite a bit of new stuff. It seems small businesses are using Trademe as another outlet for their products; most had links to their own websites.

This seems such a good way for them to compete with established New Zealand clothing companies. Small businesses can’t afford advertising as big companies can so Trademe is a perfect. I got a really nice brand new merino jersey for $20. I’m sure I would never have found one of that quality for that cheap in a shop.

This got me thinking though. I could ask my local dressmaker to make me clothes. They would be made here and the money would stay here. For an item of clothing to be considered NZ made it has to be designed and made here, the material can be imported.

Can I skip a step and make stuff myself then? I’d actually have to buy the material instead of paying someone else to buy it though but there are people here who go overseas and bring material back. If I do have to buy it it makes sense to buy it from someone like that than a big store like       Spotlight but it would still mean buying something that isn’t NZ made. No matter where I get my clothes though, someone at some point in the chain has had to buy the material.

Fortunately I don’t have a problem paying someone to sew for me, it’s a lot easier than getting frustrated and giving up which would be the inevitable conclusion of doing it myself.


Photos: Trekkyandy via Flickr
            Shoes on wires via Flickr

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,

Really enjoying your blog, informative, entertaining and cool set out! I was thinking of making a hoodie the other day so I went and looked for fabric at a local shop but it is all pretty expensive! I am not the best sewer aswell so screw ups are almost certain! I thought I could go have a look at Save mart and there are soo many sheets, duvets and pillow cases in wicked styles and colors!! So I am planning on playing around with this material instead of buying new to save money and the environment :) I was wondering if you have found a good NZ made alternative to the plastic drink bottle? cheers sarah!

Sarah said...

Thanks Casey!
Check out http://www.epiplastics.co.nz/. There probably are more manufacturers but I haven't really been looking though as I still have one from before I started this (how I don't know, I always lose them!). Let me know how you go.

Kuini said...

Hi Sarah,

Just found your blog. Really enjoying reading it.

I know you are trying to work on a budget with NZ made... but not sure if you are aware of Thunderpants (underpants, www.thunderpants.co.nz), which are totally NZ made, even the fabric is knitted printed and dyed here, plus they are totally organic. If you shop in the sale section you can buy them cheaper and they will last ages.

It is really tricky to find any reasonably priced fabric that is made here as the industry is so small... and getting smaller daily! Levanna textiles used to have a factory shop in Levin for ends of line stretch fabric, if you are ever up that way it is definately worth a visit. Also clothing wise if you can get anything Cheap in a larger size on Trademe... buying it to alter yourself is a good option if you are time rich.

cheers K